The urea broth in this tube was actually a yellow-ish color before I inoculated an organism in it. The broth also contained a pH indicator called phenol red that had a pH of 6.8. As seen in the picture, phenol red turns to cerise (hot pink color) when the pH rises above 8.1. Labs are so fun! My favorite is playing around with the petri dishes and watching bacteria grow. :D
Friday, September 26, 2008
A couple of days ago I was walking to my next class on campus and I was so upset about how I had to walk around in the hot Florida weather. And the worst part about walking around campus is that you have to really motivate yourself to walk up these random hills. I seriously felt exhausted.
And as I walking up on one of the concrete hills that took me into the UCF breezeway (next to Chick-Fil-A), I see a young man struggling to go up the same path as I in his wheelchair.
That day reminded me of how ungrateful I was to have a good pair of legs. What kills me the most is that I didn't even have the courage to walk up to him and ask if he needed help to wherever he was going.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Thursday, September 18, 2008
1. What time did you get up this morning? 10:19am
2. Diamonds or pearls? Can I pick both?
3. What was the first film you saw at the cinema movies? Harriet the Spy
4. What is your favourite TV show? The Housewives of New York City
5. What do you usually have for breakfast? I usually skip breakfast. But my dad has been bringing home dumplings for me to eat almost everyday.
6. What is your middle name? Marie
7. What food do you dislike? Octopus & slimy things of that sort....
8. What is your favourite CD at moment? The one in my car. It's a hip hop cd that I titled, "Condition of My Heart"
9. What kind of car do you drive? Toyota Corolla
10. Favourite sandwich? Philly Cheesesteak
11. What characteristic do you despise? Selfish, stingy, passive agressive, rude, & heartless.
12. Favourite item of clothing? Black leggings
13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Venice, Italy.
14. Favourite brand of clothing? Forever21
15. Where would you retire to? Winter Park, Florida
16. What was your most recent memorable birthday? My 20th birthday. I was surprised 4 times. :)
17. Favourite sport to watch? Sports doesn't interest me..
18. Favourite day of the week? Thursday (after all my labs are done!)
19. How many years at your current job? My last job..4 and a half?
20. When is your birthday? April 27th
21. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night person.
22. What is your shoe size? 7
23. Pets? None
24. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us? VASA TTT Show this Sunday!
25. What did you want to be when you were little? Someone famous
26. How are you today? Tired...
27. What is your favourite candy? Kit Kat!
28. What is your favourite flower? Tulips
29. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? Sometime in October/November..whenever the weather gets cooler. :)
30. What is your favourite pastime? Watching cartoons at night with my sister and making houses with our couch cushions while we waited for my dad to come home from work.
31. What are you listening to right now? Reggie playing the piano.
32. What was the last thing you ate? Pretzels
33. Do you wish on stars? Sometimes
34. If you were a crayon, what colour would you be? White, so that no one can use me! Har har!
35. How is the weather right now? Freakin' HOT!
36. The first person you spoke to on the phone today? Phungtien Tran!
37. Favourite soft drink? Orange soda or sprite...but overall I prefer, WATER!
38. Favourite restaurant? I don't have one, but currently Bento's.
39. Real hair colour? Dark brown
40. What was your favourite toy as a child? Electronic puppies!
41. Summer or winter? Winter
42. Hugs or kisses? Kisses
43. Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla
44. Coffee or tea? Tea
45. How many towns have you lived in? 2 - Daytona & Orlando
46. When was the last time you cried? Two days ago
47. What is under your bed? Dust
48. What did you do last night? VASA meeting, a couple of dance practices, cleaned Gin's room, went home and worked on the Tour of Asia pre-party flyer while watching tv.
49. What are you afraid of? A lot of things..
50. Salty or sweet? Salty
51. How many keys on your key ring? 3
52. Do you make friends easily? Sometimes
Monday, September 15, 2008
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Research has proven that being grateful and keeping a daily gratitude journal is a way to stay focused on the positive in your life while easing stress and anxiety.
Here's 5 things that I'm grateful for right now
1. Those who donated to the Bloomingdale library assault victim fund.
2. Finding parking at school in less than 5 minutes.
3. Getting the October issue of Lucky magazine in the mail.
4. Making a warm cup of coffee at the right time of the day.
5. Being in any kind of air-conditioned area. (My room, car, school, etc.)
What 5 things are you grateful for today?
That would be correct. After two years, I've finally decided that I'm ready to take new pictures of myself. I was a little concerned that I was still not ready for this shoot but after looking at the pictures I sort of feel a little bit better. I still have one more shoot to do with Vuong until we complete the theme! I'm feeling excited right now so I'll post up one picture from the shoot. :)
Thursday, September 4, 2008
I wake up for my 8:30am class and wish that I could sleep in longer and continue to dream... I love to dream, but the best dreams are the ones that come true. :)
And dreams only come true if you make it happen! Life will not always be handed to you on a silver platter.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
I don't think my eyes have ever seen anything as beautiful as these paintings by Stella Im Hultberg*.
Oil and ink on tea-stained paper